Brussels Sprouts and Carrots? Hmmm….who would put THOSE together? I would! And let me tell you why. First, it looks amazing together! The bright colors make everything else on your plate look better. And second…it tastes awesome! Certain vegetables just play well together, and this is one of those combos! Trust me! This is a really simple recipe. The only real work is cutting up the veggies, and that barely takes any time at all. Then, you stick them in the oven to roast…and about 20 minutes later…Ta Da! Perfection! Somehow all vegetables just seem to taste better when they are roasted. Don’t you agree? So, let me show you how quickly you can throw this awesome dish together.
First, preheat your oven to 425 degrees and prepare a baking sheet with foil and cooking spray or olive oil. (I love using my Misto oil sprayer for this sort of thing.)
Now, you chop up all the veggies. Trim the ends off of the brussels sprouts and cut them in half. Peel the carrots and slice them into 1/4” slices. And finally, trim the ends off of the shallots, peel them, cut them in half and then slice them thinly. Toss everything together in a mixing bowl, add 2-3 tsp of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. (approx. 1/4” tsp of each). Then just toss it all together to coat everything evenly with the olive oil.
Next, spread the veggies evenly on your prepared baking sheet.
Look at those colors! Is your mouth watering yet?
Put the veggies into the oven, and roast them for 15-18 minutes, or until they begin to brown a bit, and are fork tender.
And that’s it! A beautiful side dish that looks like it took all day. The flavors work really well together, and the colorful presentation is a hit at any meal.
The next time you are looking for something a little special, give this a try. You will be hooked! I promise! And don’t let those brussels sprouts scare you! When they are roasted like this, they take on the most wonderful nutty flavor. Truly tasty! These go well with everything, so they are a perfect choice for your weeknight meals, and they also make a great holiday side dish for your larger gatherings. Enjoy!
Just FYI – Here are 10 Health Benefits of Eating Brussels Sprouts
– Anti-oxidant – Anti-inflammatory
– Anti-cancer – Antibacterial
– Promotes healthy bones – Promotes healthy brain
– High in Vitamin C – Protects eyes
– Great source of fiber – Maintains healthy heart
– AND they taste YUMMY! (This one is a bonus!)
Try this dish today and let me know what you think!
“The normal food of man is vegetable.” – Charles Darwin
Salty kisses and sandy hugs! xoxo – Michele
- 2 medium carrots
- 8 oz fresh brussels sprouts
- 2 medium shallots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with foil, and spray with cooking spray
- Trim ends off brussels sprouts and cut in half
- Place into medium sized mixing bowl
- Peel carrots and slice into ¼" slices, and add to mixing bowl
- Trim ends off shallots and cut in half
- Peel shallots, then slice into thin half-moon slices
- Add shallots to mixing bowl
- Peel garlic, trim and mince, then add to bowl
- Add 2-3 tsp olive oil to bowl with vegetables
- Toss vegetables with olive oil to coat evenly
- Add salt and pepper to taste and toss vegetables once again
- Spread mixture onto prepared baking sheet evenly
- Place into oven and roast for 15-18 minutes or until slightly browned and fork tender
- Serve warm