Garlic Chili Lime Sweet Potatoes….doesn’t the name just make you drool? Wait till we add the honey at the end! These are such a wonderful side dish and they liven up any meal! They take a bit of time in the oven, but they are more than worth the wait!
Start with two sweet potatoes. Scrub the skins well, and slice them in half. Then, carefully score the tops of them in a cross-hatch pattern. Since they are raw, this part is a little tough, but just go slowly and it will work just fine. Just be sure not to cut all the way through the bottom of the potatoes. Next, rub the skins and tops of the potatoes with olive oil, and put them into a foil-lined baking pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray or olive oil. I use my Misto sprayer for this.
Now, mix up a wonderfully spicy concoction of garlic powder, chili powder, smoked paprika and chipotle powder, and sprinkle it all over the top of the potatoes. They are already starting to smell amazing!
Stick them in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until they start to get almost soft enough to eat. When they reach that stage, take them out of the oven and drizzle the tops with honey. By this time, they will be splitting apart slightly, so the honey will seep down inside the cross-hatches you cut earlier. Now, put them back into the oven for about 10 minutes.
Pull them out of the oven, squeeze fresh lime juice right over the top of each potato and sprinkle with fresh parsley.
And BOOM! There you go! Spicy, sweet, creamy sweet potatoes like you’ve never tasted before! These are seriously amazing, and like I sad, they really amp up any meal. Give them a try today! Enjoy!
“You don’t need a silver fork to eat good food.” – Paul Prudhomme
Salty kisses and sandy hugs! xoxo – Michele
- 2 medium-large sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp chipotle powder (to taste)
- 2-3 Tbs honey
- 1 lime
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Olive oil for coating potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Prepare a baking pan with foil and cooking spray
- Scrub potato skins well
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise
- Cut cross hatch pattern in top of each potato half (Go slowly. Potatoes will be firm)
- Brush potatoes liberally with olive oil (including skins)
- Place potatoes into prepared baking pan, skins sides down
- Season potatoes lightly with salt and pepper
- Mix garlic power, paprika, chili powder and chipotle in a small bowl
- Sprinkle spice mixture evenly over potato halves
- Bake potatoes for 30 minutes or until they begin to soften
- Remove potatoes from oven
- Drizzle honey over tops of potato halves, allowing it to seep into cross hatches
- Return potatoes to oven and bake additional 10 minutes
- Remove from oven and serve warm.